Saturday, October 11, 2008

stuck in my head today

We used to sing this in primary school. I'm reminded of it on beautiful autumn days like today.

Autumn Days by Estelle White

Autumn days, when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside a chestnut shell
Jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled
All these things I love so well

So I mustn't forget
No, I mustn't forget
To say a great big thank you
No, I mustn't forget.

Clouds that look like familiar faces
And a winter's moon with frosted rings
Smell of bacon as I fasten up my laces
And the song the milkman sings.

Whipped-up spray that is rainbow-scattered
And a swallow curving in the sky
Shoes so comfy though they're worn out and they're battered
And the taste of apple pie.

Scent of gardens when the rain's been falling
And a minnow darting down a stream
Picked-up engine that's been stuttering and stalling
And a win for my home team!*

*This line was always shouted as loud as possible.

I had a look to see if I could find a school choir singing it on YouTube. I couldn't, instead here's an instrumental version with illustrative pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was nice. I liked it. it was always a popular song wasn't it.