Monday, April 17, 2006

oh look Monday again

But this time it's a bank holiday and I'm taking the rest of the week off. I'll try to blog a little more. What happened last week? I was tired and busy and just didn't have the energy to blog. Plus I'm still feeling a bit uninspired.

If you want to know what I've been up to over the Easter weekend, go and look at Deb's blog. She has pictures and everything.

Did anyone see the Manchester Passion on Friday? Possibly the most interesting bit of the BBC's Easter programming. It was a bit like a modern Jesus Christ Superstar with songs by Manchester bands. Some of it worked ('Love will tear us apart' at the Last supper, Judas lamenting what he'd done with 'Heaven knows I'm miserable now', Jesus appearing right at the end at the top of the clock tower singing 'I am the resurrection and the life'.) Some didn't, quite, like Pilate and Jesus singing 'Wonderwall' as a sort of duet/duel. Sounded a bit silly. And 'Angels' should just be banned under all circumstances, even with the words changed to "He offers me protection". There were interviews with people in the crowds carrying a giant cross interspersed with the action which were kind of what you'd expect, a cross section of people from different backgrounds and religions saying why they were there. A couple of good, clear as you can be in a snatched 30 second interview quotes from Christians though. The whole thing was probably not to everyone's taste, but it was certainly innovative.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vexingly I completely missed it both times it was broadcast, but Perkins was pretty positive. She loved the "I am the Resurrection" bit, too. Apparently there are no plans to bring it out on DVD, so I've probably missed it for good.

On the other hand, my local passion play up at Market Rasen (the town with the racecourse) got a good 2+ min on the local news, complete with the lovely hairy Jewish guy playing Jesus talking about "the truth and the reality that Jesus died for us", so that was cool.

I've just spent the evening in the company of a spaniel who reminded me of nothing so much as Pickwick. Which is odd, because he was a dog.

Pig wot flies said...

Did he eat marshmallows and say "Plock plock"?

Anonymous said...

Not... not in... well no. To be fair. He tried to drink my tea, though.