Tuesday, August 16, 2005

can of worms

I seem to have managed to hijack a discussion of Harry Potter over on Intellectuelle into a discussion of parenting and obedience. Obviously not something I'm an expert on, not being a parent. I'm trying to work out what it is about the model of parenting I get from US-based blogs that makes me squirm. I don't think I'm alone in this one. I know other people who find ideas like a boy asking a girl's father if he can go out with his daughter odd and out of place. Perhaps it's that sort of idea I'm reacting to - the continuation of parental authority into adulthood when most young people have moved away and taken responsiblity for their own lives. The discussion's also poking a few sensitive areas for me, the titular can of worms.

I shall think some more and blog something in time. In the meantime, go and add your 2 penn'orth/2 cents. It's just me and Ellen at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm... so what?